Yes! The rumours are true! I'm alive!
Hee :D.
So I made it to Hong Kong safe and sound, and with all my belongings (thank god!!). The flight was... for lack of a better term: FREAKING LONG. You see it on paper and you think 20 hours... wow that's a long time. But then you're on a plane for TWENTY HOURS and you realise that it's REALLY F*CKING LONG!!
My ass was so numb by the time we landed. I swear, in the span of twenty hours my butt went from J-Lo to Andy Dick. It was frightening.
Those little video screens they have in the back of the seats were a life-saver. I forgot my book at Adam's place, so I would have been ripping my hair out without the constant stream of pretty moving pictures to look at. I watched six movies... none of which were very good, and finally turned the damn thing off when Miami Vice started to look appetising. After that I popped a couple extra-strength Gravol and was comatose for the better part of six hours. I heart drugs.
Other than that, the whole thing was highly uneventful. The touch-down was in Anchorage, Alaska, instead of Vancouver, so I got to see snow before I left, which was cool :D.
Oh and P.S.: Hong Kong is AMAZING!! Come here. Seriously. Do it now. I've had a blast so far, and I'm almost sad to leave tomorrow. I was really jet-lagged when we landed, but as a nod to the MegLaur UK Extravaganza of 2004, I let myself sleep for only two hours when I got to my hotel, and then forced myself to get out and see the sights (Buddy, I swear I felt your finger drilling into my backside when I woke up... very freaky).
Anyway, I decided to get the cheesiest tourist stuff out of the way while I was just conscious enough to enjoy it without identifying the thick layer of Gouda, so off to Victoria Peak I went.
The Peak is basically a giant tourist trap. Everywhere you turn there's a shop-keeper begging you to buy they're wears. I was tempted to pick up something, but then realised that some crappy plastic toy with the words "Made in China" stamped on the bottom was perhaps not the exotic souvenire I had hoped it would be...
Despite the touristy stuff, the Peak offers amazing views of the city, and a tram ride so steep my spine actually HURT this morning from being pinned for so long to the back of my seat. It was beautiful though, and I promise to provide photographic evidence as soon as I can find a place that doesn't charge your left leg for 15 minutes of Internet access.
After the Peak I decided to walk back to the peer to catch my ferry back to Kowloon (the mainland) from Hong Kong Island. Hong Kong has an amazing amount of cool and not-so-cool architecture, so, armed with my camera and a map, I went in search of big (and often quite phallic-looking) buildings. I took an unplanned detour from the city square, and wound up in this really cool market area. It was mostly made up of restaurants and tacky tourist shops, but I found this tiny little bakery on one of the street corners that smelled like Heaven, so I went in and got a coconut-bun for the road and a croissant for this morning's breakfast. Way yummy.
This morning I had an early start with a tour to the Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island. I made two friends on the bus-ride there, one girl from New York City, and a guy from Fiji. The three of us stayed together most of the day, and got along so well that one of the older Brits on the tour asked how long we had all known each other. My answer of "...uhh, about an hour" seemed to really surprise her. Too funny!
Anyway, the Monastery was gorgeous, and they fed us an amazing vegetarian lunch that I'll be dreaming about for years to come. I'm never having Canadian-Chinese food again. After that meal it'd be like ordering lobster at McDonald's... just no cool.
The ride down from the Monastery was by gondola, and was so high we actually had a slight freak-out from one of the people on the tour. Zirus (the Fijian) and I were having a blast, but our fun was curtailed by the freaker-outter, who seemed to have a heart-attack every time we stood up. I still got some cool pictures though ;).
Anyway, that's about it for Hong Kong! I'm meeting up with Zirus and Jen (the Yankee) tomorrow to tour the Kowloon markets before my flight, and then it's off to Kiwi-land!
Ok wow, this is long, and I think the rate just went up from left leg to first born, so I'm outie.
Take care all! Love and hugs and kisses and all that jazz.
-Megs
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay Meggy! So glad to hear you're alive and taking Hong Kong by storm. Miss u!
Post a Comment