Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Tauranga, in pictures:

Now that I'm about to leave this little Bay of Plenty town for good, heading south in search of something new, it seems well past due that I give you all a wee look around.

Here's where I've spent the last two and a half months of my life. These snapshots don't quite do it justice, but it's enough to give you an idea of why I decided to stick around so long.


First up, Tauranga CBD (central business district), where I work and play:

Spring Street, my favourite street in Tauranga. I walk down to one of a handful of cafes every morning to take a break from the office and grab a cup of coffee.


A Maori-inspired fountain at the corner of Spring Street and Grey Street (Mom and Dad: on this corner is the pay phone where I sneak out to call you guys once a week!)


Devonport Road, my life-line in the CBD. Devonport houses my regular Internet cafe, my favourite sushi place, my bank, a bakery that makes the BEST croissants, and is the route I take to get to and from work every day.


The Strand, Tauranga's party district. All along this road are restaurants and bars. Thursday through Saturday nights this place is hopping, full to the max with Taurangans and tourists of all ages out for a good time.


Tauranga Wharf, looking out onto Waipu Bay. This runs parallel to The Strand and is a popular spot for people to eat a packed lunch or take in the sights of the bay. There are a few floating restaurants spattered long here as well.




Wharf Street Market, where I used to stop for bits and pieces on my way home when I lived at the YHA. I've got a grocery store near my house now, put I still like to pick up fresh produce at the market if I'm downtown over the weekend.




Durham Road and the Bay of Plenty Times

Right on the corner of Durham Road and Spring Street is this little inconspicuous building where I've been a busy little beaver for the past nine weeks.


A shot down Durham Road to Elizabeth Street, right in front of the BoP Times


A sign on the inside of the BoP Times garage, whose entrance crosses the sidewalk and poses a bit of a hazard for pedestrians if we're not careful pulling out (Kelly, for some reason every time I see this sign I think of you :P)




77 11th Ave., home sweet home!

A lovely house in a prime location. It's almost sad that it's being rented out, as many of the tennants and both the landloards really don't give two farts about the upkeep.


My room! Small, no furniture, and the bag hanging on the wall is my gargabe can. It may not look like much, but when you've got four crazy roommates and a three-year-old running about, it's a little slice of heaven!

7 comments:

missvicks said...

Wow! I am so jealous right now! It's dark, gray and gloomy here... and they are calling for snow tomorrow... which should be fun... :-S

Lauren said...

yeah, looks great - like a warmer version of Halifax or something...

I don't see why you'd want to leave!! Gorgeous. I'm sold... palm trees.

Alexa K said...

Oh wow. That looks awesome! Are you excited to move on to the next great adventure?

I thought of you last night when our Sens won! :)

Unknown said...

Today we have snow. Not just a few flakes. An all-out snowstorm.

Miss you!!

Megan said...

Hey guys!

Yea, definitely looking forward to moving on, though Tga has been a great place to hang my hat for a while. I may stop by again on my way up to Auckland.

Yay! Sens won last night!! I've following along on the net like a doofus, but it's the best I can do. GO SENS GO!!

Unknown said...

Meg!
I can't imagine WHY you think of me when you see the road-sign to watch for pedestrians. It must be because I'm such a good, safe, reliable driver. Right? RIGHT?!

Miss you tons, and good luck on the next phase of your journey!

Megan said...

Haha!! Yea, Kel, you've got it bag-on. THAT'S why I think of you when I hear the word "toot" followed by "proceed with caution." :P

I MISS YOU SO MUCH! Email me and let me know how the fam's doing, k??