Pages

Monday, March 26, 2007

Get me oout of here...

It's time to go.

Yesterday I went and made it official. I will be leaving Tauranga on Sunday April 15, taking an almost nine-hour bus ride to Wellington, where I will be for three days. Then it's off to Christchurch (another full day of travel with a three hour ferry ride across to the South Island, and a five and a half hour bus ride from Picton to Christchurch) where I'll spend the weekend with my friend Helen whom I met on the Bay of Islands tour in January.

Then on Monday I start my Kiwi Experience "Back Paddock" tour of the South Island, complete with a free side-trip to Milford Sound. The tour ends back in Christchurch, where I may take an extra couple of days to get back to Wellington and check out Able Tasman National Park. Then it's back up to Welly in search of a job and a ONE BEDROOM apartment.

Not that I'm particularly hating sharing a house with four other people and a three-year-old.

No, no wait. I am.

Well, it's not that bad really. Still better than the YHA, but two of my roommates had it out on Sunday night, which has made the atmosphere in the house quite tense. I'm not getting into it, and on the plus side the place is a whole lot quieter.

What's kind of annoying though is that it's gotten to the point where my roommates feel they know me well enough to take the piss, and they won't freaking stop making fun of my accent ("Oh, you're going oooout again, are you??" EARTH TO NEW ZEALAND: YOU'RE THE ONES WHO TALK FUNNY!!).

The trick now is keeping myself busy and out of the house for the next three weeks. Shouldn't be too hard. Work takes care of the weekdays, and this Saturday I'm finally going to Matamata to see those hobbit holes, so it's just Sunday that I'll have to contend with.

Easter weekend is the next weekend, and I'm spending Friday at a mini "camping trip" (aka sleeping in tents on Beck's front lawn) with a bunch of the girls from work. Saturday Robyn and Alex are coming down from Auckland to get me and we're spending the rest of the weekend hiking through the Coromandel Penninsula.

The weekend after that I'll spend Saturday packing, and head out early Sunday to catch my 7:10 a.m. bus.

Nineteen more days... wish me luck.

3 comments:

missvicks said...

Hey Megan!
I totally hear you about living with other people. When I was at Trent, I chose my roomies... not so much this year, and one is a real jerk... So, I know what you are going through...
Hope you survive the next three weeks, and plead insanity if they don't! ;-D

Alexa K said...

Just keep swimming... just keep swimming. 3 weeks isn't bad at all!

It's tough, but it does get better. Imagine the 9 other female roommates I had to live with for 3 months.

I highly recommend rediscovering your coffee addiction and hang out at a cafe!

Shan said...

Bring mushrooms to the holes.

You know what for.

O_o